The toolbar options displayed below the menu bar are customizable and are dependent upon your toolbar display selections and the content you are displaying. Based on what type of content you are viewing, the available toolbar options will differ. The example below is the Insert toolbar.
Select the different tabs across the top (File, Home, Insert, Translations, and View) to change the available toolbar buttons and options.
Customizing the Toolbar Options
- Right-click on the toolbar to display the three toolbar menu options.
The Add to Quick Access Toolbar option will display only if you right-click while having your mouse cursor on a button.
- Perform one of the following options:
If You Want To
Add a button to the Quick Access Toolbar
- Verify your mouse is on the proper button, and Click dd to Quick Access Toolbar.
The Bold button has been added to the Quick Access Toolbar.
Display the Quick Access Toolbar below the Ribbon instead of above it, which is the default location
- Click Show Quick Access Toolbar below Ribbon.
The Quick Access Toolbar has been placed below the Ribbon
Minimize the Ribbon bar
Click Minimize the Ribbon.
The Quick Access Toolbar has been minimized.
Using Right-Click Menus
Right-click menus are available throughout the Editor workspace to provide shortcut methods of performing a variety of tasks. The menu options differ depending upon the type of field or object that is selected when the right-click action is performed.
Some of the right-click menu options available include:
- Edit steps, actions, notes, and callouts
- Edit tooltips, screens, and images
- Various character and paragraph format options
- Various insertion and editing options
Using the Content Area
The content area displays a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) view of the underlying extensible markup language (XML) structure of the document and simulation.
Changing Content Views
Tabs in the upper left allow you to select the desired view of procedural content: document, simulation, or screenflow. Additionally, you can right click on an item in the task pane and select "Edit in document view" or "Edit in simulation view." If you are in course mode, you can select the desired view of course content: course, audio, or preview.
To display a particular view in the content area, select the desired tab.
You may encounter a slight time delay when switching between views. This is due to the processing necessary to reformat the data for display.
It is good practice to save your file before switching the views.
Viewing the Status Bar
The status bar at the bottom of the Editor window provides information on processing status and the glossary terms or page links remaining within the system limit.
Using the Task Pane
The following task panes are available in the Editor. Selection availability is dependent on the file type that is open and the view displayed.
- Annotations: Displays the annotation sets available for the displayed document.
- Course: Displays the lessons and pages in the course.
- Layout: Displays an outline view of the sections and the steps in the document.
- Steps: Displays the steps in the simulation.
- Pages: Displays page hierarchy information for the website.
- Glossary: Displays the list of terms.
When you click on an element in the task pane, the content area refreshes to display the corresponding information in the content area. To change the displayed task pane, select the desired tab, or click the down arrow in the upper right of the task pane. The view you see in the Express Editor may not be the same as in the screen shot below: