Context-Sensitive Help allows you to provide end users with quick and convenient access to help via an online performance support system. End users request help from the server via a direct link in the PeopleSoft application. For information on supported versions of PeopleSoft, refer to the Technical Specifications.
Creating a Template for Use with PeopleSoft
Context-Sensitive Help for PeopleSoft is driven by context identifiers. Each screen in PeopleSoft has a unique context identifier and these are gathered collectively for a procedure and automatically inserted into the transaction code property of a document. Context identifiers are used to call context-specific help on the screen in which the end user is working.
Transaction code is a term and property used to identify a process, and it is used in two separate instances:
- Transaction code property: The server matches this document property to the associated PeopleSoft screen when a call for help is made from PeopleSoft .
- Transaction code block: In a document, this block displays the transaction code pertaining to the document created.
- In the application, create a template.
A project administrator typically creates and customizes templates. For more information, refer to Using Author Templates.
- Select the Blocks tab.
- Select Purpose.
- Turn off the display of the Transaction Code block in a document.
- Select the Properties tab.
- Enable the Transaction Code property.
- Select .
- Click the Publications tab.
- Select Website.
- Select Transaction Code(s) from the Build from Property field.
- Select Comma(,) from the Multiple Values Separated By field.
- Select .
Publishing the Website
As part of website publishing, you will also generate quick launch pages to enable communication between the website and PeopleSoft. For information on publishing the website, refer to Publishing the Website.
Recording a PeopleSoft Document
- Record a document using the procedures described in Recording Procedural Content.
The recorder will automatically gather the view names for each screen as the author records the document and will insert the names into the document metadata.
- Edit the document using the procedures described in Editing and Formatting: Basics and Editing and Formatting: Procedural Content.
Requesting Help from PeopleSoft
- Log into PeopleSoft as an end user.
- Navigate to the desired screen.
- Click .
- PeopleSoft will open a new browser window displaying the following potential help options:
- If a single help document has been created, the document displays in the new browser window.
- If more than one help document has been created, a list of documents displays in the browser window.
- If no help document has been created, a zero search result window displays.
If stay-on-top is enabled, the help document remains on top of the Peoplesoft screen. Stay-on-top help uses an Active X control to support this functionality. If a user does not have Active X installed on the computer, a prompt to install the control is displayed.
- Choose from the following options:
If You Want To
Select a help document
Click on the hyperlink for the document you wish to view.
Return to PeopleSoft
Click Peoplesoft Help.