Course text and simulation step text can be converted into speech. Text to speech provides accessible outputs for visually impaired users. Authors can automatically convert text to audio that is available to the end user when playing the published output. In addition, text to speech allows audio to be translated and used in conjunction with XLIFF files.
Configuring Available Voices for Text To Speech
- Ensure that text to speech is enabled for simulations and courses in the template.
For more information on enabling text to speech, refer to Default Publication Settings: Simulation: General Settings and Default Publication Settings: Course: General Settings.
- Configure a voice for text to speech.
For more information, refer Specifying General Settings: Text To Speech.
The MS Speech Platform and any applicable voices must be installed on your local computer.
- From the Editor, open the course or simulation for which you want to add text to speech.
- Select Properties....
- Click Text To Speech on the left pane.
- Select one of the following options:
If You Want To
Use the default template voice
Select Use default template voice.
Select a different voice
- Deselect Use default template voice.
- Select a voice from the Available Voices drop-down list.
- Enter text in the Preview Text field.
- Click Play to preview the selected voice.
- Adjust the Volume and Rate as needed.
NOTE: Click Reset to return the volume and rate to the default settings.
- Click OK.
Text to speech audio is published within the course or simulation.